Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My mom had an asthma attack, was in a coma, put into ICU, on

My mom had an asthma attack, was in a coma, put into ICU, on a breathing machine, got better, now is out of ICU, eyes are open, response to pinch in her toe or sounds, but don't recognize people, can't talk, still being feed through a tube insert to her stomac through her nose.

What can i do? any medication? can I administer vitamin B and glucose for her?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 3 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

It sounds that she may have an encephalopathy ( a diffuse injury to the brain). She may have suffered oxygen deprivation as one possibilyt given the scenario that you describe. It is encouraging that she has been showing improvement as she has regained conciousness for example. I hope that she is being followed by a neurologist. She may continue to show improvement as the days pass but this may be gradual. Time is a major factor in judging a situation such as hers.

Anthony Bray MD :

If she has tube feeding then she is being supplied with vitamins and nutrition so you do not need to add to this.

Anthony Bray MD :

Her mental state might still be affected by medications that she might possibly be still receiving but her doctors may have withdrawn any sedating type meds...

Customer :

she is in China, i am not sure if she is getting the right vitamin and nutrition or medication. Is it possible we do our own Glasgow Coma Scale accessment? or getting medication from here and send to her? She has had Parkinson disease for 18 years as well.

Anthony Bray MD :

That is a tough situation. I'm sure that you can obtain a list of her medications and details on her nutrional support. I don't know how well they receive suggestions. You could do a Glascow assesment.

Customer :

do you have any guideline for the self Ga\lascow assesment? or the name of the medication? believe it or not, they wont release her file, we dont know what has been given to her

Anthony Bray MD :

The Glascow scale is 15 point scale. The first segment is verbal response. None= 1 ; incomprehensible = 2; inappropriate words = 3; confused = 4; oriented = 5 The next segment is eye opening>>> none =1; to pain =2; To speech = 3; Spontaneous = 4; The final segment is motor response>>> none =1; Abnormal extension = 2; Abnormal flexion = 3; Withdraws =4; Localizes pain = 5; Obeys commands = 6

Anthony Bray MD :

You may be able to get some information if you were able to comminicate directly with her doctor/s and nurses. The entire record of a patient is not available intil they are discharged usually...

Customer :

that's very helpful. i'll try that and at least know a little bit of her chance of recovery. thanks a lot! can I get back to you after we done the accessment?

Anthony Bray MD :

Sure, that will be fine.

Customer :

how?

Anthony Bray MD :

You can add to this thread for up to 48 hours(I think) before it times out. Otherwise you can start a new question and ask for me. I will be online for the next several days...

Anthony Bray MD :

...not conitnuosly of course but off and on throughout the day...

Customer :

ok, i'll do that. My name is XXXXX XXXXX a lot, talk to you tomorrow.

Anthony Bray MD :

That will be fine. I hope that your mother shows improvement.

Customer :

if i accept this, it would not end our thread, right?

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Just let me know when you have other questions or more details of her condition and I will get back with you. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD