Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

Ive had a bronchial/esophagus spasm/cough for over three weeks

I've had a bronchial/esophagus spasm/cough for over three weeks now. I'm taking Flonase, Chlorphenir/P-Ephed, Ventolin, and two to three times a day, I'm using a sinus rinse, but the spasms/cough continues -- especially at night when I'm sleeping. When having one of the coughing spasms, I am unable to breathe or get air into my lungs. Once I consciously relax my esophagus, I can breathe freely. My sinuses have not felt impacted in any way. There is no sinus discharge, and am able to breathe clearly without any accompany rasp or wheeze, and neither do I have any fever. Any suggestions?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.

Are you taking any other medications?

Have you seen your provider about this?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

All of the above medications have been taken at the advice of my primary care physician. No, I am not taking any additional medications, and I am in good health, generally speaking, without any outstanding health issues.

I do not believe that I am the first person to experience this or any other ailment. I'm here because I believe that any ailment benefits from a second set of eyes and ears.

THanks for replying and I agree about having second opinions!

We are happy to help you.

It doesn't sound so much like a sinus infection/impaction from what you are describing but a bronchial respiratory infection.

It could be viral but sometimes when they linger so long you can get a bacterial infection on top of them. ANother consideration would be Pertussis or Whooping Cough. That is making a comeback in the US and we have seen it in our area, Even with vaccinations.

Your provider can test you for that and treat if you have it.

I would add an albuterol inhaler to see if that helps to open up the bronchial airway and decrease the irritability as well. I would also consider steroids or adding codeine to your cough syrup.

You are doing all of the over the counter things possible.