Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I have 2 lumps under my armpit, they appeared overnight and

I have 2 lumps under my armpit, they appeared overnight and I am really worried it might be cancer. I have had a boil on my stomach before and it looks similar to the ones under my armpit but of course i could be wrong. I use magnesium sulphate to help the swelling of the boil and that helped, I have tried with the ones under my arm but it does stay on too weel over night, is there anything else I can do as I am so scred it might be cancer.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Are the lumps painful?
Red?
Do they look like pimples? Any whitehead or pus bumps on them?
Do you shave your underams?

Dr Abby

Edited by Dr. Abby on 10/19/2010 at 11:35 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Dr Abby

they are a little bit red not dramatically though. they dont really look like spots but it might just be because I am panicing about it. Yes I do shave my underarms

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information,

I know it is scary to feel lumps.
I want to reassure you that cancer does not appear overnight. So I do not think that what you are feeling are cancerous lumps.

It is more likely one of a few things:

1. Because you shave your armpits, this can cause tiny breaks in the skin. This can allow bacteria to enter through the breaks. Your lymph nodes may be enlarged because they are trying to fight off infection.

2. Viral infections such as mono can cause a generalized enlargement of the lymph nodes in the body. If you have been feeling ill, this is the likely cause.

3. If you have any cuts/scratches on your arm, this will cause an enlargement of the nodes as well. The lymph nodes not only drain the armpit and breast/chest wall but also the arm.

4. An infected hair follicle/cyst/boil. These are very common in the armpit. In order to help bring it to the surface, try applying warm compresses three times per day. You can also try applying boil-ease if it is painful.

If there is no improvement over the next day or so, have your doctor examine you. Also have him/her take a look if they get larger or more painful. Occasionally these boils need to be opened and drained in the office.

Again, this does not in any way sound like cancer.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr Abby

Thank you so much for the reassurance that it is not cancer, I didnt think it could be but its only when it happens to you , you get worried that it could be. I did think it was from shaving as thats what happened with my last lump. Would applying magnesium sulphate to it at night help at all and what sort of warm compressses?

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Yes, you can use the magnesium sulfate at night.

As for warm compresses, you can simply use a moist, warm washcloth. Apply it for 15 minutes three times per day. This should help bring it to the surface.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you very much :) i really appreciate all your help. If i need anymore I will contact you.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome,

Please feel free to follow up any time,

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will do :)

thank you so much.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome. Please remember to accept if I have been helpful. Thank you !!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes thats not a problem I will do that now. Once i accept, do i need to pay again if i speak to you or will I have to pay again?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
No you do not need to pay again :)
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks again Dr Abby , your help is much appreciated