Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I woke up this morning with severe pain in my foot and can

I woke up this morning with severe pain in my foot and can only walk on my tip toe on the right foot. When I touch the top of my foot near the ankle, it hurts very bad. My foot is trobbing. I used an ice pack and it seemed to help. I can not walk with my heel on the ground and can bearly put any weight on the foot at all. I am unable to sleep. I just had the sweats and felt like I was going to pass out, but am now feeling okay.

The conditions to consider for your pain are;

1) Achilles tendinitis; heel tendon inflammation

2) Retrocalcaneal bursitis; bursa are fluid filled sac (pocket like structures) for smooth movement of the tendon, which can get inflamed and termed bursitis. The heel bone is called calcaneum and the bursa below it is inflamed thus the term retrocalcaneal.

3) Plantar fasciitis; heel has got a soft tissue underneath called as plantar fascia, inflammation of which is called plantar fasciitis.

4) Calcaneal periostitis; heel bone inflammation

5) Calcaneal spurs; wear and tear arthritis forms small bone growth.

The treatment is almost same for all these conditions with the minor variations. Following may help you;

1) Moist heat or ice compresses; whatever suits you
2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen
3) Local analgesic ointment /spray
4) Physical therapy
5) Deep electrotherapy like iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation etc.
6) Consideration of steroid shot
7) Shock wave therapy
8) Custom-fabricated inserts in shoe-wear

There is a new therapy called as autologous blood injection in which your own blood is injected at the pain site, is said to be quite effective. Shock wave therapy is available in sport medicine clinics or physical therapy clinics. This too is suppose to help in the resistant cases, in whom above therapies are not effective.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You don't think it could be a blood clot?

Usually swelling is associated with the pain in blood clot / deep vein thrombosis. Calf pain and swelling too is usually accompanied with warmth, tenderness and redness. Please see the symtoms of blood clot;

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun