Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

I have a terrible cough that I cannot get rid of. I had an

I have a terrible cough that I cannot get rid of. I had an upper respiratory infection and took antibiotics for it. The cough remains.

Is there anything I can do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.

Could you tell me how long this cough has lasted?
What other medications are you on?
Have you had a chest x-ray?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have had it for about 3 weeks. When I get a cough it usually takes a while to get over it.

I thought there was something else I could do.

I have not had a chest x-ray

TYpically the cough is the last symptom to resolve for most patients.

The reason I asked about if you are on any medications is that a certain blood pressure pill can cause a dry cough.

I will assume that you are not on any other medication.

The codeine in a cough syrup is usually a powerful suppressant but can have some side effects with it.

Other things you can try is tea with lemon and honey - warm, Putting Vicks vapor rub on your feet with socks on them at night (I laughed at that for years with all my "medical" knowledge but it really does help!), also try a humidifier by your bed and if you have an inhaler use that if you have coughing "spells" even if you are not having any wheezing.

Another prescriptive medication is tesselon perles that could be tried but you would have to talk to your provider about that.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am on a blood pressure medication - Hyzaar 100mg - Effexor 150mg. - Zyrtec

Those typically do not cause a cough, so you are probably right that it is just effects from your upper respiratory infection.

However, if after 4 weeks it does not improve, you will want to be re-examined and possibly a chest x-ray taken.