Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

Since I was a child I have had an intermittent problem where

Since I was a child I have had an intermittent problem where I have sharp gas pains and then, while trying to eliminate, my blood pressure goes way down, I get dizzy, nauseated, and turn a pasty pale color. What's going on there?

This is called a vasovagal response. When you bear down to have a bowel movement your blood pressure actually does decrease causing you to almost pass out. This usually occurs in older adults and you really can pass out.

It would be wise to let your doctor know, they can do an EKG or even a 24 hour heart monitor to see what your heart is really doing when this occurs. If it is severe it can be managed with medication if needed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I am just out of college and don't yet have insurance so I am trying to avoid the doctor if I can. This happens about 3-5 times a year. If it is that infrequent do you think I need to rush to the doctor?
No, I don't think so. If you just try to keep your stools soft by increasing the fiber in your diet, and even taking a stool softener that is over the counter than you should help to eliminate those experiences.

When you bear down it is the body's natural response to drop the heart rate a little, it just can be a problem if your heart rate drops too much and can cause you to pass out. The good news is that as soon as you pass out your heart rate usually returns to normal.

So see if those changes in your diet will help. But if you notice that it occurs more and more frequent than you will need to be seen for sure.

Good Luck!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your excellent response.