A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

how long to get out of your system corticosteroids

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Which corticosteroid?

Dr B :

Hello

Dr B :

it usually takes 1-3 days, depending on which particular corticosteroid

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well I was on methlypredisolne 6 day pack in the beginning of September.The took 1 1/2 of the dexometh pack and took my self off it and i was on some corticosteroid creams as well.. I just took an HIV test and I dont know if any of this will effect my test. the lasttime i put a cream on was 11 days ago. The only other meds i am on is Xanax and Synthroid. Can anything effect HIV Testing? And how long is the corticosteroid in ur system cause i heard they are an immunosuppresant Please help
Methylprednisolone takes 36 72 hours to leave the system, but it will not affect HIV testing in any way
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what about the rest of my question? The creams that have the steriods in them? The Xanax? Can I take the hiv antibody test while on any of these and the results will be accurate???
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information. None of the medications you are taking (oral or topical) will affect the results of an HIV test.

The length of time corticosteroids are in your system depends on which corticosteroid it is. There are short-, intermediate- and long-acting ones. Methylprednisolone is an intermediate-acting one and it has a half life of 18-36 hours. It is completely out of your system in a maximum of 10-11 days. In any event, it will not affect HIV testing even if you were still on it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not even zanax could effect it?

Nothing whatsoever will affect it.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist