Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

my neck is very tender under right side of chin extending down

my neck is very tender under right side of chin extending down neck swollen and tender to touch
Hello, do you have any lumps in the neck?
Redness?
Fever?
Difficulty swallowing?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No fever, my throat is not sore. To me it feels like I may have a small lump right under my chin back by maybe a swollen gland. it is very tender right under chin when i push 9(where they take your pulse) ...kind of aches a little up to my ear and radiates in a very small area down to my collar bone. It does not hurt to swallow my throat isn't red but it kind of feels like there is a lump Maybe a little red but it could be from hot packs. very tender to press on front of neck only on right side....feels swollen and is slightly swollen in appearance. The pain almost is like it radiates down my carotid artery
I am sorry you are not feeling well,

The neck swelling may be due to a few things--swollen glands (since you are able to feel one), an enlarged thyroid or a thyroid nodule, an enlarged salivary gland (submandibular gland) or a cyst. The lymph node itself can also get infected.

Lymph nodes in the area you are describing drain the oral cavity, so if you have any dental or gum infections, sores in the mouth this can cause an enlarged, painful lymph node.

Unfortunately, without being able to examine the area, I can't tell you exactly what it is. I would do warm compresses and ibuprofen for the pain. If the pain is severe, I do recommend that you go to an urgent care for evaluation. Antibiotics may be needed if the lymph node is infected.
If you develop any compressive symptoms (difficulty swallowing, dizziness or shortness of breath) you need to go to the emergency room.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When i stand the pain is sort of surging. Also back by the gland under my neck it sort of has shooting pains. I have no oral infections. My neck is kind of soft. When I press the gland/nodule whatever it is very tender.
What is the size of the gland? Is it pulsating?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Small marble....i can feel my pulse when I press on it.
If you can feel your pulse, then the lump may be either a tortuous ("twisty") carotid artery or it could be a dilation/aneurysm of the artery itself (which is very rare).

It may also be a lymph node that is overlaying your artery and that is why you are feeling your pulse.

An ultrasound may need to be done of the neck to determine whether it is the artery or a gland if not clear on physical examination.

If you are having signficant pain, I would go to an urgent care to have it checked out today.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX 50 miles from nearest hospital and 110 from urgent care. do you think it will be okay until monday
Yes.
If you start to develop compressive symptoms or any blurry vision/changes in vision, numbness or tingling then go in. I do not anticipate that happening but just symptoms to be aware of.
If the swelling increases or pain worsens, I would also go in.

Dr Abby

Edited by Dr. Abby on 10/9/2010 at 4:27 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what are compressive symptoms
I am sorry for not clarifying again...the symptoms I mentioned above--difficulty swallowing or shortness of breath.

Dr Abby