Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

What could be the signs of someone being choked to near death

Customer Question

What could be the signs of someone being choked to near death by another person? What could be the side effects?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
DR HASAN :

HI

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your quesion

DR HASAN :

can you please give details of what actually happened

DR HASAN :

please provide details

Customer :

I cannot give too great details as it is related to a legal case. Someone is saying they were choked to "near death". They jumped out of a car and sustained a large cut to the head and required stables with good vitals. Later says that the driver choked them as person wet their pants, had a red mark on neck and eyes later black with pupils having dots in them.

DR HASAN :

Do you want to ask that what could have happened from medical point of view to that person

Customer :

Well more if that person was truely choked would those be the signs, or what would be the signs? Like able to talk, marks, eyes, throat??

DR HASAN :

Well this depends upon the way that person caused him to chokd

Customer :

Yes I guess that is ..from a medical point

DR HASAN :

like if he choked him by pressing or holding neck tightly

Customer :

Yes

DR HASAN :

it could have caused him to obstruct his airway to cause respiratory obstruction

DR HASAN :

it could have fractured the laryngeal cartilages to cause obstruction to air flow and to cause escape of air into neck to cause edema of the neck called subcutaneous emphysema

DR HASAN :

which shows up as crackling on pressing the neck

Customer :

ANy other things, like the eyes?? from lack of oxygen? ANy marks on necK?

DR HASAN :

Yes i am still on

DR HASAN :

It ca cause marks of neck, finger marks or nail marks

Customer :

Is that a crushed throat? And would they be able to talk normal?

DR HASAN :

can cause bulging of eyes slightly but thats not permanent

DR HASAN :

no with crushed throat he will not be able to talk normally if thats a crush on vocal cords

DR HASAN :

it can cause brain injury either directly by head injury if thrown out of car

Customer :

But what about the airway and talking? So can be just one print or mark on neck?

DR HASAN :

can cause brain injury by lack of oxygen

DR HASAN :

print mark depends on way of pressing and force applied

Customer :

So a head injury can cause black eyes and redness in pupils as well?

DR HASAN :

Airway is definitely at risk more than anything else

DR HASAN :

can be compromised

DR HASAN :

Yes it can cause black eye

DR HASAN :

but redness of eye can be due to thedirect trauma

Customer :

Someone wetting their pants is not a direct result of choking or near death by choking can be many other variables?

DR HASAN :

pupils can react to the head trauma in the form of dilating or becoming unresponsive to light reflex in severe cases

Customer :

The head trauma?

Customer :

Yes this was not the case, pupils good and vitals good.

DR HASAN :

Yes wetting pants is not a direct result of choking because when we are getting through a trauma our sphincter become tight

Customer :

Ok thank you.

DR HASAN :

You are welcome

DR HASAN :

It was nice talking to you

DR HASAN :

please click ACCEPT if you are happy with the answers

DR HASAN :

Regards

DR HASAN :

if you want to ask more please feel fre

DR HASAN :

free

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery