Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

i have a bad rash around the groin and inner thy.....exteme

i have a bad rash around the groin and inner thy.....exteme itching and redness
thought it was jock itch.....treated with appropriate creams.....didnt help.....then
thought it might be yeast infection.....applied monistat-7 on it.....didnt help
now ive been reading that cortisone may help.....is that prescription only and what do you suggest........not too thrilled at the thought of seeing a doctor and having to show them
this rash.....pretty embarrassing
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Could you describe the rash?
Is there any pain associated with it?
Is it on both sides?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes both sides...in the fold of the groin......and a little on underside of scrotum no pain just extreme itching ....

instantly triggered when i sweat......if i dont sweat it dont itch......but its slow to clear up....

everytime it looks like its clearing up....then it gets irritated again.....the only pain came from scratching too much.....a couple times my underwear rubbed it raw.....so i bought runners underwear.....big help.....eliminated the rubbing....but now i'm just frustrated cuz

i'll go all day with triple paste or desitin on it and it pretty much doesnt itch or bother me.....but soon as i remove my close and take a bath and wash off paste......

its not long before the skin starts itching and gets red and puffy......and i'm scrambling to re apply paste

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Is there any scaling to the rash?
Cracking of the skin?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

it seemes to me......it only had some dry skin where i scratched too much

it did get dry and crack once in the fold but then cleard up when i started whearing the runners underwear.....majority of area is puffy...red....itchy.....about 2 inch wide rash around inner thy and groin fold and under side of scrotum

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the detail,

The rash is still most likely to be fungal, given the description and location..

If you did not use the creams long enough, that could be part of the problem. Lotrimin AF will treat both candida and jock itch and does need to be used for up to four weeks.

You can also use an over the counter hydrocortisone cream for the itching as long as you are not experiencing signs of infection.
These would be pain and warmth to the rash along with tenderness to the touch.
Avoid scratching the rash, as this can lead to secondary bacterial infections.
If you see crusting in any area of the rash (yellow crusts) this is also a sign of bacterial infection.

If you do not see any improvement after 2-3 weeks of using the creams, it will be time to follow up with your GP. If there is any worsening before then, see him sooner.
We see groin rashes all the time, so try not to feel embarrassed. They are very common.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

is lotrimin af available over the counter ?

And whats a common brand name of over the counter hydrochortisone ?

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Yes, lotrimin AF is over the counter.

You can buy hydrocortisone as generic.
A brand name would be Cortaid or Cortizone-10.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok.....one last question.........should i try lotrimin first.....or cortisone......or both at same time....?......sorry.....i'm really making you earn this cash hugh...lol
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
No, it is not a problem answering your questions!

This is what I would recommend:
If you see small satellite red "dots" around the main rash, this makes it more likely to be yeast than jock itch.
In that case, I would use both at the same time.

If you do not see that, then I would only use the lotrimin AF first and apply Sarna anti-itch lotion instead. The steroids are not as helpful with jock itch.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

.....thanks if this works,....i'll love ya for ever !!!!........lol

seriously though.....thank you so much......i'd much rather deal with this on line than in the doctors office .......

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
You are very welcome.

I hope that it takes care of it too.

Dr Abby