Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

i have been waking up in the middle of the night with burning

i have been waking up in the middle of the night with burning and tingling in my thigh muscle. i rub it to try and make it stop.
i now notice it during the day just sitting at my desk.
not as intence during the day than at night.
what could be the cause?

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

Is this burning and tingling in the middle of your thigh, in front and slightly to the outside part of your thigh?

Edited by Valarie on 10/1/2010 at 5:11 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes! upper middle to outside part of my thigh.

A possible cause of your problem is called Meralgia Paresthetica. It is an inflammation or pressure on the nerve that supplies sensation to your thigh. Treatment of it depends on the cause of the pressure, which is most commonly caused by weight gain or clothing that is too restrictive. This nerve runs in front of the hip bone and under some ligaments.

Here is a link with some more information about this: Meralgia Paresthetica, which includes a picture (click on it) so you can see the nerve and where it runs.

This nerve supplies sensory feeling only. It will not cause any lack of function in your thigh---it just feels miserable.