Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Assistant Professor OB/GYN with 40 years of experience. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

Hello, my son is 7 years old and over the last 4 weeks a hard

Customer Question

Hello, my son is 7 years old and over the last 4 weeks a hard white spot has apeared just below his eye brow.
This has grown in size over the latter of the 4 weeks and kids at school are starting to tease him as it is very visable.
Went to see our GP yesterday (who we were reffered to by another doctor we previously saw - as this one was a skin specialist) and he totally painted a horror story to my son who had built himself up for it to be removed thus frightening my son and then he then refused to have it done.
As soon as we came out of the sugery my son cried and wanted to go back in as he really really wanted it doing.
I felt like the doctor didn't want to do it as he was running half an hour over on his time schedule.
Is there any easy way I can remove the spot at home bearing in mind my sons age??
Is there any numbing products that can be applied??
Please help...We are in turmoil!!

Mrs Battle
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 3 years ago.

Hello Mrs. Battle,

Dr. E here...

I do not recommend removing this skin lesion at home. Your doctor may decide to send it for biopsy, and your doctor has access to anesthetics and sterile instruments. Also, the area near the eye can be particularly sensitive. You need to talk to your son and let him come to the decision when he's ready to have it removed.

Dr. E

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doctor E

Ive read lots of posts on the internet claiming that they have sterilised their own needle and simply poked it out, can this not be done?

My son definately wants it out now....it is like a really hard round spot (rock hard) is it a calcium deposit?

I think that the risk for injury and infection is too great at home, plus you don't have anesthetics. Your doctor can do this in the best way for your son. It sounds like it may be an oil gland that has become inflamed and tense.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you for your advice.

I will take him back to the GP.

Thanks again

Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 3 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER-a8aydojh; Please do not compound the errors. This lump is "below the eyebrow" you say and therefore is really impinging on his upper eye lid. There are several possibilities for this lump from simple styes,to tear gland cysts to desmoid cyst or tumors and several more. Take your son to an ophthalmologist or pediatric ophthalmologist and take no chances with his health. Good luck