Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

I am 35 years old with a 20 month old baby who recently just

I am 35 years old with a 20 month old baby who recently just weaned. My period started regularly when she was 6 months old and continued normally until June of this year. It just stopped, for 3.5 months and now it is 2.5 weeks late again. I saw my OB and she did the routine blood work and everything came back fine. The problem is my hormones are a mess, meaning I am having terrible mood swings, can't concentrate, vision problems, extreme all over body aches every evening around 5pm. Any suggestions?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
What is your height and weight?
Have you gained much weight and if so how much?
What specific labs did your ob/gyn do?
What medications or pills do you take?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Height 5'6" Weight 210

No weight gain or lose, I lost the baby weight shortly after the baby was born.

OB checked Thyroid, FSH and something else but I can't remember. They all came back normal. The blood work was done about 5 weeks ago and a week after I had the tests my period came and was normal. So I thought every thing was back on track. The ordered an ultrasound but I cancelled because it was schedule for the day my period started.

How it is a month or so later and I am late again.

No medications, just daily vitamin.

My biggest concern is the hormonal side affects which are starting to effect my family, job and life.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
What you might have going on is called PCOS - Polycystic Ovarian syndrome and this is similiar to what we call metabolic syndrome.
And, most of this is due to your weight. You have excess estrogen in your body in the form of estrone, and then this increases your testosterone level and then this causes insulin resistance and hence diabetes like problems, and problems with ovarian cysts and unable to ovulate and then pain, cramps, irregular bleeding - so your ob/gyn should really evaluate this for you and the way to help this is with birth control such as pills, the patch, the ring or the Mirena IUD.

I hope this helps, if you have more questions, please ask, and Please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated for my time and service to you, thank you very much.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the slow reply.

I know of PCOS but I do not have any other symptoms for this conditions. And what is the likely hood of this developing after having a baby? My menstrual cycles prior to getting pregnant were extremely normal however I did suffer from extreme PMS symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
PCOS is not something that you are born with, it is a 'syndrome' that can develop over time and PCOS is not something that easily diagnosed, but something that we presume that you have. And, I do see this develop a lot over time with many women, especially with women who are overweight - because excess weight stores estrogen and then gets released in the form of estrone and this starts the process of PCOS.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Can you explain how this is diagnosed?

I really do not feel comfortable with my current OB as I always feel rushed and that they are not explaining things at an appropriate level (I am a PhD Chemist and like lots of detail and explanation).

When would you recommend I go back to the OB? It has only been a few weeks since my daughter weaned and the last time I visited she (OB) seemed to think my problems were all caused by the breastfeeding. I do not believe this and I agree with your assessment of POCS.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
Well, when you are overweight you Store and Produce excess Estrogen, and this is in the form of Estrone. This estrone then increases the production of testosterone and DHT - Dihydrotestosterone, which increases the Insulin levels and insulin resistance. This insulin resistance than increases the thickness of your ovarian capsule and this causes the ovary to become thick and therefore unable to ovulated - and this produces many small cysts and hence this is why we have POLY cystic ovaries.
So, for the lab tests: we get Testosterone, Estradiol, Estrone, FSH - follicle stimulating hormone, LH - luteinizing hormone, DHEA-S, and also a pelvic ultrasound.
I treat with birth control pills, and if you want to get pregnant I use a medication such as Metformin (glucophage) that helps with insulin sensitivity, hence this thins the ovarian capsule and helps ovulation. So, weight had a lot to do with all of this and usually if a woman decreases the weight by about 15 to 20%, this improves things drastically.

I would recommend going to your OB for care. The problems were NOT caused by breast feeding.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you!!
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome - please don't forget to click on ACCEPT as this is how we are compensated by Just Answer, thank you.
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate