Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

old numbness in two fingures of right hand no other apparent symptoms

Male 72 years old numbness in two fingures of right hand no other apparent symptoms
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Which two fingers are numb?
How long has it been going on?
Any wrist, elbow or neck pain?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
pinky and next fingure over numbness seems also to be intermittent i e comes and goes I have no neck or back pain I have no wrist or elbow pain
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information,

The symptoms you are describing are suggestive of something called ulnar neuropathy.
The ulnar nerve is the nerve that supplies the sensation to the pinkie, ring finger and part of the middle finger.
The most common place for the ulnar nerve to be irritated or compressed is in the elbow. The ulnar nerve is the nerve that we hit when we hit our "funny bone". Less commonly the entrapment/compression can occur in the wrist or at shoulder/collarbone level.

A nerve test (called an EMG/nerve conduction study) will be able to diagnose exactly where the irritation or compression is occuring.
An xray of the shoulder/elbow and wrist may also be needed.

Since it has been coming and going, I suggest that you make an appointment with your doctor sometime in the near future for an evaluation. It is not urgent unless you develop sudden weakenss of the hand or spreading numbness to other parts of the body.

For now, you can try icing the elbow, use and anti-inflammatory and try using an elbow protection pad (like rollerbladers use, for example) to keep the elbow from getting irritated when resting on chairs/tables, etc. If you have high blood pressure or a history of ulcers, use tylenol instead.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!