Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Also, Im wondering if they could be at all related

Hello. I have 3 things that I am concerned about right now. Also, I'm wondering if they could be at all related.

1) When I take a shower, and am shaving my legs, my veins bulge out of my arms, and they feel like they are going to burst. This has been going on for like 10 years, but in the last couple months, I've noticed it every time I take a shower, to the point that I don't want to shave my legs.
2) I am a 27-year old female, 5'6", 130 pounds. In my recent life (mostly up until 24), I was naturally very thin, and ate anything and everything under the sun in an attempt to gain weight. I also was not very active. It didn't start "sticking" to me about year ago, and so since then I've tried to eat less, and exercise more. At my most-recent dr. visit, i was told my HDL was 33, LDL 112, and Triglicerides 95.
3) I went to the dr. this morning b/c they wanted me to fast 12 hours and re-take my cholesterol to see if the HDL would maybe be higher. About a minute after I got my blood drawn, and the nurse put a band-aid on, I realized that I was bleeding down my arm. I have never bled like that before after a blood test.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

I understand your concerns.

We already addressed the HDL issue yesterday.

let's discuss your other concerns.

Since you are thin individual, your veins can be prominent in certain parts of the body especially in the extremities. This is normal to see prominent 'bulging veins' especially during shower or shaving.

This does not signify you have blood clots.

Another explanation will be varicose veins.

This is due to the incompetent superficial veins mainly seen on the legs.

Long standing jobs or hard physical activity may result in some varicose veins, a benign condition.

Compression stockings or tight stockings upto knee length will be helpful to prevent them from bulging out.

Blood clots in the vein will produce swelling of the arms & even pain.

this is not the case.

so do not worry here.

the bleeding you experienced today after blood draw can also be normal again.

recent use of medications like aspirin or NSAIDs can cause bleeding.

certain herbal supplements also can increase the risk of bleeding.

blood drawing technique is another possibility.

inadequate application of pressure following withdrawal of needle will cause bleeding sometimes longer than usual.

but, this is not worrisome, if you do not see any other instance of prolonged bleeding.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your response.

I realize that my veins are more prominent than most people's. I guess what bothers me is the sensation in my arms when I'm shavin my legs- like my veins are full and are going to burst. And I don't understand why it only happens when I'm doing that activity.

Thanks.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

This is gain not worrisome. This is due to the excessive sensitivity.

Some individuals are more sensitive due to the rich nerve innervation of the veins, arms & legs.

Hence, this is again normal variation.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Oh, ok.

Thank you.

I really appreciate it!
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 years ago.
welcome!