Dr.Tiwari
Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience:  M.D.
8775652

About a year ago, my 40 yr old daughter took a fall down stairs.

About a year ago, my 40 yr old daughter took a fall down stairs. The husband claims he heard her fall and went to her immediately. He claims she wasn't breathing. The EMT's were there in twelve minutes. She wasn't breathing so they "bagged" her. At the hospital, although she had a fracture across her nose and a large "y" shaped laceration on her forehead and frontal scalp, there was no bleeding on the brain or skull fracture. Because she went some time without breathing, she suffered massive brain damage from lack of oxygen. She died a few days later. Under these conditions, long does it take a brain to swell enough to stop breathing/heartbeat? We suspect she was thrown down the stairs and suffocated.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 6 years ago.
I am posting you the comment but this is not for the purpose for medico legal use.

If due to any reason brain is deprived of the oxygen for more then 5 minutes then the brain is declared dead.With injury to the brain cells due to lack of oxygen the edema starts to occur with start of the ischaemic damage,there is supportive paper where this experiment is performed on rats(obviously it can not be performed on human beings)-

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TB D-4865154-48&_user=10&_coverDate=02/28/1993&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=2df9f826ed42075da2455c019b2f2b34&searchtype=a

So most probably your daughter should have suffered hypoxic damage after fall when a blood or blood clot had clogged her airways & due to which she had suffered from hypoxic damage.

Hope this will help you.