JanelleRPA
JanelleRPA, Physician Assistant
Experience:  25 + years of experience in family practice, internal medicine and family planning

hard time getting wet for intercourse and overall my vagina is burny

Hello!
I have noticed that each month, about 4-5 days preceeding my period, I have an intense burning in my vagina. I have a hard time getting wet for intercourse and overall my vagina is burny for this whole period of time. I do have a paraguard iud, perhaps this has something to do with the ph and constant burning feeling this time in my cycle. I also have sex at least 1-2 times per day in which my boyfriend does cum inside me.
Any advice? Is this normal? Anything I can do to get rid of this problem?
Category: Health
Expert:  JanelleRPA replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I don't think this is related to your IUD. Your symptoms suggest a vaginal yeast infection. It's common with a yeast infection for women to notice that the symptoms are worse in the week preceding their menstrual period. Symptoms may lessen or seem to go away entirely after their period. Itching and/or burning are the cardinal symptoms of a yeast infection. Often no discharge is noticed because the secretions inside the vagina are thick and clumpy. There may or may not be visible redness around the vaginal opening. If your relationship is monogamous and you don't have any concerns about STDs, I would suggest you try an over the counter yeast treatment (miconozole/Monistat or clotrimazole/GyneLotrimin). The over-the-counter yeast treatments will often work. Some resistance has developed to them, so failure doesn't mean you don't have a yeast infection, it just means you need a more effective treatment. If your symptoms aren't relieved by an OTC yeast treatment, you should have an exam, to be certain of the cause of your symptoms. You can buy a kit to test your vaginal pH. It's usually 4.5 in the presence of a yeast infection. A pH of 5.5 or 6.0 suggests bacterial vaginosis, another very common NON-STD vaginal infection. Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is treated with prescription antibiotics (metronidazole or clindamycin). I hope this guidance is helpful. Please feel welcome to write again. Best regards, JanelleRPAC

Edited by JanelleRPA on 10/1/2010 at 3:53 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If the symptoms go away - I can assume that is what is going on? I assume I will hvae to wait a month or so as I only seem to have symptoms just before my period.
After tryong the over the counter yeast treatment, how long should I give it before taking the next step?
What is normal ph for the vagina, when no yeast infection is present?

Thank you so much for your time!!!
Jayne
Hi again. I'm glad to answer your questions. I suggest that you treat now with an OTC yeast treatment. I'd recommend the 7 day treatment, which you insert with an applicator. It's best used at bedtime. The next morning you'll wipe some medicine away, but some will remain inside until the next treatment. You'll want to wear a pad to protect your clothes. I'm often asked if it's okay to have sex during yeast treatment. The answer is yes, but it's messy :) If you don't have burning before your next period, that would be proof of cure. If you do get burning before your period, that's when you should have an exam, so someone can make a swab of the secretions and look at them under the microscope. Sometimes that's the only way to be sure whether it's yeast or BV, because the symptoms can be very similar. If you do buy a pH test kit, the normal pH of the vaginal is 4.5. Yeast doesn't usually change that. As I said, a pH of 5.5 or 6.0 strongly suggests BV. If the OTC yeast treatment fails, and if you don't have insurance, you could look for a Planned Parenthood or Family Planning in your area. Their fees are on a sliding scale based on income and their experts in diagnosing and treating vaginal infections. Very best wishes, JanelleRPAC
JanelleRPA, Physician Assistant
Experience: 25 + years of experience in family practice, internal medicine and family planning