Dr. Nomi
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor,UK

My mother had a mastectomy on her right breast back in 2001.

Customer Question

My mother had a mastectomy on her right breast back in 2001. Out of 12 nodes taken, 1 was positive. She is 85 years old. Yesterday she told me about a lump on her right leg. I looked at it, it appeared to be about the size of a quarter and looked red. She said that she doesn't want to show it to her Dr. and I disagree. I want her to get it looked at by her Oncologist. My question is, The lump is on the same side as the mastectomy. Is it possible that this is related to the cancer? and shoud there be a concern about lymphadema, becuse its on the same side? THANK YOU
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 6 years ago.
Well I believe it can be a carbuncle ( a boil at the place of hair follicle made by bacterial infection).I do not think it is related to breast cancer .There is no need to worry .However its better to meet her Primary care Physician.It doesn't look like there is need of Oncologist.