Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

going through menopause..spotting about 6 months..Everything looked

Customer Question

I have been going through menopause for about 7 years and have not had a period in about 4 years. I was spotting about 6 months ago and went to the doctor and only the PA was available to see me. Everything looked normal however she wanted to take a sample of the cervics but was unable to due to the small opening. She gave up and I never heard anything from my doctor. I have now been bleeding heavily and having large clumps of blood since last night. I called the doctors office and was told since I am not having any pain or fever I could see the PA on Monday. I do not feel comfortable with this and would like to get your opinion.

Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Wilson :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Wilson :

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry that the complete work up was not completed, but given you had spotting and now bleeding this could be a polyp, this could be a thyroid condition, but this could be a cancer and this is very concerning given what you said.
You need a complete pelvic exam, you need an Endometral Biopsy of the inside of the uterus to check for abnormal cells, you need a PAP smear, a Pelvic ultrasound, and a TSH thyroid blood test.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My thyroid and hormone levels were checked 6 months ago. I guess my concern is whether or not I need to be seen now or if it can wait utill I can get in to see a doctor sometime next week?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
I would seen a doctor within the next 2 to 4 weeks - because you did not have the complete evaluation initially - so this should be done.