Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have had pulsatile tinnitus for 5 years now. I had a mri

I have had pulsatile tinnitus for 5 years now. I had a mri and arteriogram, it showed nothing abnormal. My problem now is I still have the pulsating but, it is more of a throbbing pain on the left side(back) of my head. It has been going on for about a week now. Should I get another mri done?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question.

I am an ENT consultant and want to help you.

The main causes of pulsatile tinnitus are Low hemoglobin, Secondary to hyperthyroidism, High jugular bulb in the middle ear, Aberrant internal carotid artery , Glomus tumors, Tortuous intracranial venous sinuses etc. Anyhow it was for your guidance. With the headache and pulsatile tinnitus the answer to your question is yes you should undergo not only MRI again to see any lesion which might not be detectable at that time but also get other tests like Brain stem evoked response audiometry done. Moreover complete blood work up including thyroid hormone levels should be checked. See an ENT first and if he feel like after examination and investigations he can take opinion of neurosurgeon.

I hope this helps you.

Wish you good luck

Please click ACCEPT if i have answered your question.

Regards

Dr Hasan