Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

days late..i took a pregnancy test on day 7..condom..getting pregnant

Customer Question

I am 12 days late for my period, i took a pregnancy test on day 7 and again today both of which showed negative although the last one was a clear blue and i couldn't really make out whether it was a + sign or not the vertical line was almost invisible. What does this mean? There is only really one day i could even possibly have fallen pregnant, the condom split about 3 days before I was due on, I didn't take any emergency contraception as I thought the chances were so slim and getting pregnant is something I was looking to do in the not too distant future anyway, could I be pregnant, I'm so confused?!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to and thanks for your question .

As such ideal time to do a home pregnancy test is 1-2 weeks after missed period and morning urine sample should be used .
Faint line appearing after the designated reaction time (usually at 5-10 minutes) of the test may be an evaporation line .
Faint color band in the test area of a pregnancy test indicates positive result as long as it's read within the time frame .
So in cases of doubt a blood pregnancy test called beta hcg can be done as it is more accurate than a home pregnancy test .
Also there can be a variety of causes of missed period apart from pregXXXXX XXXXXke weight gain,weight loss, thyroid dysfunction ,emotional imbalance , stress etc to name a few .