Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

Right at the shoulder joint it feels like it is locked

I have a frozen shoulder and has been for some time. It is doing so much better now but I can't raise my shoulder yet. Right at the shoulder joint it feels like it is locked. Is there something that I can do to speed the upward motion up. Is there a shot I can take. What do you recomend?
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 6 years ago.
Dear JASCUSTOMER-dkkmose8-,
Hello.Adhesive Capsulitis,commonly referred to as frozen shoulder is a fairly common problem whose cause is not known.It is a self limiting disease which may resolve by itself and lasts 5 months to up to 3 years ,averaging 8 months to a year.It cause severe pain and limitation of movement and can interfere with day to day activity and sleep.Treatment consists of physical exercises,medication like NSAIDS,massage,steroid shots,arthroscopic release and open release of adhesions.Gentle stretching and application of moist heat will help.Use of TENS may help.MethylPrednisolone shots are given under flouroscopic cover and may go from a single shot to a series over a few months.These shots will reduce the pain and need to be accompanied by stretching exercises,preferably by a Physiotherapist for maximum benefit.Release ogf adhesions by manipulation under GA has been tried.Use of arthroscopic release of adhesions may help and lastly open surgery may be required in a few cases.Use of acupuncture,osteopathy and Niel-Ascher technique have also been tried.

Edited by Vakul Aren on 10/1/2010 at 1:19 PM EST