Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

hi for a few months now i have had a really horrible taste

Customer Question

hi for a few months now i have had a really horrible taste at the back of my throat.when it first started it felt like liquid was dripping from the back of my nose into my throat,tried all diffrent mouthwashes but still there.i can taste this when i wake in the mornings,when i eat food.or when i swallow one moment the taste aint there then the next it is.only way i can decscribe taste is sometimes it taste like posion.other times like morning breath really horrible taste hot breath with it too.any ideas please??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Do you have any heartburn symptoms?
Are you still noticing the postnasal drainage?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ive always sufferd with heartburn even b4 theses symptoms accured.and yes at times im still getting drainage from the nose area into the back of the throat
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the details,

The bad taste may be due to two separate things--if you are not taking anything for acid reflux, this is a common cause of what you are experiencing. Try using over the counter omeprazole (as long as it does not interact with anything you are taking) for one week to see if this makes any difference.

The second issue is the postnasal drainage. This is also a very common cause of bad breath as well as a bad taste. If you do not have any history of high blood pressure, you can try using a decongestant like sudafed. However, often the best treatment for drainage is a nasal steroid spray, which is only available by prescription.
Using a nasal saline spray (which is over the counter) may also be helpful for you.

Hopefully, these measures will clear it up for you!

Feel free to ask any follow up questions and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!