Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

i have aching joints and muscles, i am always cold (under tongue

Customer Question

i have aching joints and muscles, i am always cold (under tongue temperature 35.4), my hair is falling out, im exhausted, i fall asleep when sitting down for a few minutes, i have an uncomfortable feeling in my throat, my nails have become very brittle, my skin is dry, i have spots which will not clear up, my speech has become slow, i have painful periods. I have been told i am depressed and i have fibromyalgia. I feel these are symptoms not the problem. I feel that my gp thinks its all in my head and just continues to do blood tests. i have asked for several weeks to be referred to a specialist but he says that the anti depressents will sort it all out

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 6 years ago.

Sorry to hear about this.

Which investigations have been done so far?

What about thyroid hormone levels?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
blood tests showed they were normal but my mother and her mother had part of their thyroid glands removed
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Well your symptoms match with the thyroid hormone problem but if the tests are negative then less likely. your problem doesnot indicate a single medical problem , it seems more of a multi systemic problem. i suggest that you should ask your doctor to refer you to an internal medicine specialist who will do a detailed examination and after that as per his suspicion he can decide for further investigations. moreover he can decide about further referral. Raynauds sort of things can be accompanying problems but definitely these things needs examination by a specialist. As far as anti depressants are concerned your gp is thinking so because you have got your investigations normal but i suggest you should label your problem to be anxiety related after you have been seen by a specialist.

i hope this helps you.

dr hasan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i am a little confused because reading which is supposed to be a highly recommended website they suggest that a diagnosis with regard to thyroid problems should be based on symptoms and antibody tests. They suggest that blood tests are not a very good indication of the thyroid glands effectiveness however doctors seem to disregard all the symptoms as soon as the blood test results appear in a normal range.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 6 years ago.

Normally thyroid hormone levels are good indicator of function of the thyroid. If they are normal then the problem is less likely to be associated with thyroid, Antibody levels can predict associated or predisposing causes but the levels ultimately decide that there is any dysfunction or not. Thats why i have advised you to see an internal medicine specialist so that he figure out the problem and take you out of this confusion.

i hope this helps you.

dr hasan