Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

My left foot has been quite painful for a week or so and now

My left foot has been quite painful for a week or so and now feels slightly numb and tingly.

Is the entire foot painful or a specific area?
Is there any redness?
Do you have any chronic health problems like diabetes?
Is the pain constant or only when walking?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The front part of the foot.
No redness
No swelling
No chronic problems
Pain is constant
Thank you for clarifying,

From what you are describing, it sounds like you have metatarsalgia, which is pain in the ball of your foot.
This is caused by inflammation in the ball of the foot that can be due to different factors:
Poorly fitting footwear, a irritated nerve (called a Morton's neuroma), bunions or hammartoes, stress fractures, being overweight or a recent change in activity level.

The treatment for this depends on the underlying cause.
Since you are otherwise healthy (no high blood pressure) and if you have no problems taking ibuprofen, I would try this along with wearing loose shoes, elevation of the foot, ice and wearing a metatarsal foot pad which you can buy at a local pharmacy.

I also recommend seeing your doctor for a confirmation of the diagnosis and so that a more specific treatment can be recommended. You may need an xray of the foot to look for any arthritis.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!