Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

I have always had small issues with falling and staying asleep.

I have always had small issues with falling and staying asleep. In the past 5 years my sleeping has gotten even worse. I tried for two years to go to bed at 9pm each night, but would lay there for 2 hours and then get up. After being on the computer or reading for a couple of hours, I would start feeling sleepy. I would go back to bed or turn off the light, only to feel wide awake again. I end up tossing and turning, the forcing myself to stay in bed and fall asleep.

In the last few months, I have been stayin up all night, at least 3 out of 7 days.I don't know what to do. I have tried most of the OTC slepep aidsand a few natural ones, but none of them have helped. I am without insurance and am asking if there is something else I should do? Janet

Hello Janet and thank you for your question,

I am sorry to hear that you have been struggling with your sleep cycle. Good sleep hygiene is very important for overall health so it will be important for you to restore your sleep cycle.

Since you have tried most of over-the-counter remedies, your next step is to see a physician and get a prescription for a sleeping pill. I understand that you dont have insurance, however, many sleeping agents are very inexpensive ($4 for 30 day supply with or without insurance) but will require a prescription from a physician.

Since lack of sleep can lead to a variety of health problems, I would urge you to make an appointment to see a physician.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please click 'Accept' button. Otherwise your deposit stays with JustAnswer and I do not get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,