Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I had a transabdominal and transvaginal scan yesterday. My

I had a transabdominal and transvaginal scan yesterday. My uterus is anteverted and bulky with at least 3 uterine fibroids identified. One is within the posterior mid uterine body (23x24x18mm, intramural), a second one is also intramural and lies within the lower uterine segment (10x10x8mm), and the third is subserosal/pedunculated and arises fro the right anterior uterine wall (21x23x23mm). My right ovary is enlarged and measures 49x40x37mm, appproximately 40cc volume. However, the is secondary to the presence of a septated 37mm cystic focus. The scan also picked up multiple anechoic Nabothian cysts within the cervix. What does this all mean? I am very nervous and concerned and do not even get to speak to my doctor until next week. Can you please explain this to me?

Have you been having abnormal periods/bleeding?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I have been having slight pain in my back and around the area of my ovary on and off for a while now. My periods did seem unpredictable about 6 months ago, but I have a program on my iphone that I use to track the days. My periods now are occuring when the calender on iPeriod says they should. I am on day 17 of my cycle now with my last period occuring Sept. 15-19. I am due to start my next period Oct. 12.
Thank you for clarifying,

When your doctor did the exam and felt a bulky uterus, this triggered the idea that you may have fibroids, a common cause of an enlargement.

The anteverted uterus simply means that your uterus is tipped forward. There is nothing abnormal about the positioning.
Uterine fibroids can arise from different layers of the uterus. Intramural fibroids arise from within the uterine wall and submucosal fibroids arise from cells just below the endometrial lining. The submucosal fibroids often protrude into the uterine cavity. Subserosal fibroids arise from the serosal surface of the uterus and also protrude into the cavity. There is nothing unusual about your fibroids. They can cause bleeding, which you have not experienced.

The right ovary has a cyst with a septation or a fibrous division in it. These are not uncommon. There is no mention of any solid component to it which would increase concern for an ovarian tumor or cancer. Septated ovarian cysts are not uncommon. Usually, they will be followed to make sure they resolve.

Nabothian cysts are also common and are like pimples on the cervix. They are benign and there is not any treatment needed. They are not infections.

I do not see anything that suggests cancer or anything worrisome on your scan. The cyst, as mentioned, appears to be a benign ovarian cyst.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!