Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

I have seemingly worsening foot pain and I wonder if you know

I have seemingly worsening foot pain and I wonder if you know what it could be.
I'm 32 male. Type 2 non obese diabetic (diagosed 1 year ago) - on metformin and victoza, A1C of 6.7, crohn's (diagnosed 5 yrs ago) - on weekly humira.

My foot: I was pidgeon toed as a kid and wore corrective metal forest gump be at night (real young). I have always toed in a bit on my left foot particularly. A few month ago my left foot started hurting without injurying it. Mainly my big toe felt stiff and pain when at ball of foot near big toe joint when I attempted to push off. That pain became very sharp, so went to podiatrist. she said there was swelling there but couldn't reproduce pain. xrays negative ultrasound showed something at the joint but couldn't tell. so she had me use sports tape (heel to ball of foot about, plantar fascia??). Since then that area feels better but pain goes elsewere, stiff joints in ankle . Could this be some arthritis or related to my crohns or the immunosuppresant? shoudl I get an MRI?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 6 years ago.

Greetings,

At what point ultrasound showed the swelling? Did you have any blood test? Have you consulted rheumatologist?

Regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
at I think the big toe or 2nd toe joint in the foot pad area on bottom of foot. No rheumatologist consult or blood tests. would an mri demonstrate joint issues or should I skip that and instead see a rheumatolgoitst
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
and my ankle and toes are cracking a lot lately. and there is also achy pain across the top near the ankle - thats among the places that the pain has transferred apparently as a result of the sports tape which seems to allow the bigtoe joint area rest?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

There are conditions like Morton's neuroma which can develop from irritation or pressure. But the position of it is frequently in between the 3rd & 4th toe. The other causes like plantar fascititis, gout, arthritis etc can cause pain there. As you had past foot issues & Crohn's, both immunological & mechanical factors can play role here. You can have an opinion of an rheumatologist first. If he excludes any rheumatological problem or if he advises you can take an MRI then.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.