Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

For years Ive had a strange odor that comes from me internally.

Customer Question

For years I've had a strange odor that comes from me internally. It is offensive to others and my spouse could not identify the smell until recently. Someone gave us some white truffle oil and my spouse told me that is the exact smell that comes from my body. The truffle oil smells like rancid oil, moth balls, and garlic. About 10 months ago I started having a strange pain on my lower right abdomen region. I had a GI, EGT, a liver check, gallbadder check, and all of the doctors could not find anyting wrong. 2 months ago I started feeling the same pain on the lower left side of my abdomen. This is so depressing because it feels like i have a problem that could turn serious,the body odor is offensive, and no one can help. I thought maybe the smell was caused by my diet but in the past I ate healthy,exercised, and I still had this strange body odor. The smell and symptoms keep getting worse as time goes on. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLP !
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 6 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER-tj53wvc9-,
Hello.The causes of offensive body odour may be many.A major cause would be certain bacteria which interact with the body sweat and create a bad smell.The bacteria break down the propionic acid by Propionibacteria and isovaleric acid by Staphylococcus epidermis in the sweat producing a cheesy,rancid odour.Paranasal sinusitis and lung abscess caused by bacteria may lead to a very foul odour.Halitosis or bad breath due to chronic tonsillitis,gingivitis and other dental infections may also cause such a problem.Seeing a dermatologist may help diagnose the condition if all other causes including gynaecological,gasterointestinal,ENT and other systemic causes have been ruled out.