Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

Hi. I passed a kidney stones and have two others. I have picked

Customer Question

Hi. I passed a kidney stones and have two others. I have picked up my 24-hour urine specimen for analysis of kidney stones. It says to urinate (not in the orange container the first time) and after the next urination to do it in the container. 24 hours later do the same thing. My question is: Does it have to be a certain time of day as long as the start and stop time are 24 hours apart? With work, etc. I am on a strange schedule. If I do it at 3am or 4am -- and sleep until later -- and conclude it the same time the next day when I am awake is that okay? Or does it have to be when I awaken -- even if that is at 1 or 2pm? -- Thanks, Dyan
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Celeste NP :

Celeste NP :

You are correct in thinking that it can be any 24 hours. Just as long as the start and stop times are 24 hours apart.

Celeste NP :

It does not have to be morning hours at all.

Celeste NP :

Does this answer your question?

Customer :

Thank you. I am hoping the first urination WHICH I COLLECT (really second urination) will be in the early hours of the morning (next couple or few), then I can do the same thing tomorrow morning and drop it off at Quest before they close Saturday midday. I know it has to be dropped off the same day as the last collection. I can't do it Monday before work and don't want to delay the process. The doctor says he needs a few weeks for the results before my next appt. Should that be fine? Would I just keep the specimens (after 24 hours, in the clear containers) at room temp until I drop them off?

Celeste NP :

Yes, your plan should be ok.

Customer :

I wasn't sure about the time because this just says to collect the (second) urination and one at the same time tomorrow. I had read that urine was more concentrated in the morning, that's why I wondered about the time. -- And, YES YOU HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL! :)

Celeste NP :

If they did not tell you to keep it on ice than room temp is fine. When we are checking for protein in the urine we usually keep it on ice. But you are collecting for a different reason, to analysis the stones.

Celeste NP :

But in a 24 hour period of time it will "catch" your morning!

Customer :

The instructions said to keep the urine in the big orange container refrigerated but the two small containers I take in to be at room temp. However, they may assume someone will drop them off within an hour or two. Is it okay to put them in the fridge if it may be 7 hours? It can't hurt, can it?

Celeste NP :

OK, no what that means is when every time after you urinate to dump it in the orange container that you keep in the fridge.

Customer :

And last question -- I promise -- it does want ALL urinations with 24 hours, right? So I should stay at home all day?

Customer :

I can because I am off today/tomorrow.

Celeste NP :

yes, that is key. You will need to have all urinations collected.

Customer :

I understand that the urine in the orange container has to be kept refrigerated, but once I transfer it to the two smaller containers that I take to the lab, should I refrigerate it if I complete them at 3 or 4am and don't drop them off until 11am? Will it be okay -- at room temp, even though it says room temp -- for that many hours, for example? Refrigeration can't hurt, can it?

Celeste NP :

Sorry, I didn't get that the first time. Yes, Keep them in the fridge until you are ready to transport to the lab. You are correct about that!

Customer :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX can I give you a good review? Or can they see that from the text? :)

Celeste NP :

You are very welcome and asked good questions! Good luck on collecting!

Celeste NP :

When you click accept there is a place for feedback. I appreciate you taking the time!

Customer :

Thank you. Do I hit "accept" now?

Customer :

Thank you. I will do so. Good night.

Celeste NP :

yes and thanks

Celeste NP :

night

Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I ask one more question, Celeste?
I am here if you need to ask another question. I logged off after helping you last nite. Sorry!