Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

My husband has been continuously reporting lower back pain

Hello, I am a Registered Nurse and have a question in regards XXXXX XXXXX once an issue I cannot explain. My husband has been continuously reporting lower back pain for several months. Prior to unemployment he installed hardwood and tile floors for many years and now is working for comcast. He recently did a side job and installed floors by himself for a neighbor. Tonight he has returned home from work in severe pain and upon palpation of his lower back I found to the left of his lumbar spine to be two areas of moveable either fluid or air. What could this be , it is not on the spine so I would not equate it to being a spinal cord issue. Help???
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 3 years ago.

Glad to be talking to a RN!

How far left of the spine is this area?
Does the pain increase when you palpate it?
Does the pain go down the legs?
ANy numbness or tingling of the legs?
Hello again,
It would be very helpful to get the additional information that I need to give you the best advice possible about your husband.

I will await your response.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no pain upon palpatation, reports pain in bilateral legs frequently but not related to the back area of small pockets of either air or fluid. No spinal cord pain . Thought Sciatica at first but as been prescribed mobic and no relief.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes , no relief. He feels a great deal of pain in his lower back , esp on the left side. Tonight I agreed to palpate and there is a definite pouch on the left side. Actually there r two, one right above each other. Is it air , I am not sure, is there pain , yes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what do you think?
Thanks for replying.

So sorry for his pain that he is in.

First off, it is time he see a provider. You have done the first steps, now he will need some imaging and a through neuro examination.

What you are possibly feeling is the when the fascia of the paraspinal muscles get inflamed. This is a very deep inflammation and while NSAIDS help, it may require more medication and therapy than that. Also the longer this type of pain continues the harder it gets to resolve it. Continue the Mobic, heat packs alternating with ice, and rest until he can be seen. THe muscles in his back may have been chronically inflamed and irritated but when he did strenuous work of the floor, it just made things worse.

Also, when the pain goes down the leg, you need to rule out a herniated disc or bulging disc. Sciatica can mimic these symptoms but typically improves with what you have been trying with him. So again, it is time for the next step which would be imaging.

I have had a few patients with the bulging like you are describing and they have been fascia related, It is very painful. However, other conditions definitely need to ruled out.

Sounds like you are taking good care of him!
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.