Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

The MRI on my right knee includes focal full thickness cartilage

Customer Question

The MRI on my right knee includes focal full thickness cartilage fissure at the patellar apex, along with other findings (cartilage loss along medial patellar facet/medial femoral condyle), quadriceps and patellar tendon enthesopathy. Report is basically summarized as patellar tendon-lateral femoral condyle friction syndrome. My orthopedic surgeon recommends arthroscopy but will this improve the full thickness articular cartilage fissure in any way? What are some of the options I should be considering to restore cartilage, if any? I am 40 years old, female, with an athletic history and wish to remain very active for years to come.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr B :

Hello, I work in orthopaedics. The arthroscopy will not do much for the fissure, but the fissure is not the cause of your main symptoms since it is on the patella.Your symptoms are from the cartilage loss on the femoral condyles

Dr B :

The arthroscopy will give a clear picture of the joint surface, and will allow the surgeon to clean out any loose bodies that may be causing pain in the joint

Dr B :

The only way to restore your cartilage is through a cartilage implant

JACUSTOMER-ka98m1bm- :

In the past 2 weeks I have had buckling and locking of my knee which prompted me to finally seek some help after years of just "dealing" with the pain under the knee after exercising. The physician assistant I saw believes this instability & buckling that I have been experiencing is due to the fissure. Any comments?

Dr B :

The fissure should not cause buckling, it may be due to quadriceps weakening

Dr B :

Are you there? I can't see any response

JACUSTOMER-ka98m1bm- :

Thanks for the quick response. I'm going to accept your answer. As a side note, my quads are probably at their strongest in awhile having just completed a 56 mile bike race in mid-Sept. But you have provided me with more confidence about the upcoming arthroscopy and questions to ask about cartilage implants.

Dr B :

Your welcome. The quadriceps tendon may also play a role in the intstability.I will close chat for you to accept if you are satisfied.I am still available to answer questions