Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

Is 72 units of humalog a large dose of insulin

Is 72 units of humalog a large dose of insulin?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes this would be a large dose. It would be very helpful to know what version of humalog this is such as 75/25 and what your weight is as well as your average blood sugars. Your dosing schedule would also be helpful.

Anthony Bray MD :

There are immediate acting forms of insulin and delayed acting forms. The most immediate acting form is just called humalog and this would be too high of a dose for this as it might cause hypoglycemia. The dose would be more appropriate for 75/25 mix which is mainly long acting. This would be a dose suitable for a heavy person with a fairly heavy intake of carbs or por control... The details would be most helpful as to evaluating your dose...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hello.... i am also 5'11 and about 300 lb...i think you might need to know that
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Umm... i do not know the is called KWIK pen on the package....OOPS....I am sorry....that was supposed to be Lantus Solostar..... NOT Humalog.... however my humalog dose is 40-44-48-0 and umm my bloodsugars have been running around 200 for the last month. I spike around 300 after meals, even with my humalog.

Hello again,

The Lantus is a long acting insulin while the Humalog is short acting. It is a large dose that you are on. It seems to me that you need to work on your diet and weight and the exercise aspect of your treatment probably needs more emphasis. You want to control your blood sugars to less than 150 (fasting numbers) if possible.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD