Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I went to the doctor for a swollen thumb. I was told I had

Customer Question

I went to the doctor for a swollen thumb. I was told I had cellulitus. I was given a shot and a prescribtion. I recently went on vacation for 5 days and forgot to pack my medicine. Since I have been home I also forgot to take the medicine until my nostril started swelling up and I looked online and one of the symptoms was cellulitus. I immediately took one of my pills. my nose has been hurting for the past two days, and its swollen the pain is moving up towards my eye. What should I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Customer :

Hi

Anthony Bray MD :

It sounds that you have developed a second infection of the nose. If the swelling is severe or worsening then you may need to go to the ER. Otherwise you should contact your docotr tomorrow for follow up. Remember of course to take your antibiotic.

Anthony Bray MD :

You might need additional antibiotic shot or even IV if a serious cellulitis is progressing at either site...

Customer :

Ok. Since its been several days, do you think my antibiotic will still work? my thumb seems to be fine other than my nail looks like its pulling away from my skin.

Anthony Bray MD :

It will probably work. What antibiotic are you on?

Customer :

Im taking cephalexin 500mg

Anthony Bray MD :

It will most likely work but there would be some increase chance of resistance. The brevity of your taking this makes it less likely to have reisitance from your taking it however..

Anthony Bray MD :

I would recommend that you get in within the next couple of days for your docotr to follow up on this new site of trouble with your nose. I would recommend that you tkae the cephalexin until you can get in though...

Customer :

Thanks!! I wanted to know if I should go to the ER or not. I will call my doctor tomorrow to see him during normal business hours.

Customer :

oh by the way I also have a mild headache. would this be normal?

Anthony Bray MD :

OK, I think that will be fine. Hopefully you will see some improvement even overnight with the nose..

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes, with the nose it will cause a headache..

Customer :

I really appreciate your help!

Anthony Bray MD :

You are quite welcome!

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

If you have further questions then let me know and I will be happy to get back with you. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD