Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

Mr. Smith has a grade I tumor of the lungs while Mr. Jones

Customer Question

Mr. Smith has a grade I tumor of the lungs while Mr. Jones has a grade IV tumor of the lungs. explain how this tumors are similar and how they differ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
MD doc :

MD doc :

In order to understand tumor grade, it is helpful to know how tumors form. The body is made up of many types of cells. Normally, cells grow and divide to produce new cells in a controlled and orderly manner. Sometimes, however, new cells continue to be produced when they are not needed. As a result, a mass of extra tissue called a tumor may develop. A tumor can be benign (not cancerous) or malignant (cancerous). Cells in malignant tumors are abnormal and divide without control or order. These cancerous cells can invade and damage nearby tissue, and spread to other parts of the body (metastasize).

MD doc :

Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in terms of how abnormal they look under a microscope and how quickly the tumor is likely to grow and spread.

MD doc :

If a tumor is suspected to be malignant, a doctor removes a sample of tissue or the entire tumor in a procedure called a biopsy. A pathologist (a doctor who identifies diseases by studying cells under a microscope) examines the tissue to determine whether the tumor is benign or malignant. The pathologist can also determine the tumor grade and identify other characteristics of the tumor cells.

MD doc :

Based on the microscopic appearance of cancer cells, pathologists commonly describe tumor grade by four degrees of severity: Grades 1, 2, 3, and 4. The cells of Grade 1 tumors resemble normal cells, and tend to grow and multiply slowly. Grade 1 tumors are generally considered the least aggressive in behavior.
Conversely, the cells of Grade 3 or Grade 4 tumors do not look like normal cells of the same type. Grade 3 and 4 tumors tend to grow rapidly and spread faster than tumors with a lower grade.

MD doc :

Hence as per the above discussion

MD doc :

A tumor grade 1 would have cells that look similar to the normal cells and this patient is more likely to survive with proper treatment

MD doc :

On the other hand a tumor grade 4 would have cells that are not at all like normal cells, and these would divide and spread rapidly

MD doc :

Thus the chances of Mr Jones surviving are quite less

MD doc :

These are the important differences in the two gentlemen in question

MD doc :

The similarities would be that both of a cancer which is affecting the lung and would require early treatment to get the best results

MD doc :

I hope this helps,

MD doc :

Let me know if you need more information

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do cell size and content determine classification of anaemia?