Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

pain in the lower left abdomen, above the hip, painful when

pain in the lower left abdomen, above the hip, painful when pushed upon, signifies what?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

How long have you been having the pain?
Any urinary symptoms (frequent urination, burning urination, etc)
Diarrhea or constipation?
Fever?
Do you have the pain when not pushing on the area?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this has been going on a long time. usually only notice it while laying down for bed. I have to constantly toss and turn. it is getting progressively worse. it now is constantly present as a dull ache. makes we stretch my left hip downward for relief. i am physically fit, 6'1" 200 lbs but I sit at a desk all day and realize its hard on my butt and back, which is why i thought it was lower back pain. it really hurts when i push on it, a very sharp stabbing pain.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Have you had a colonoscopy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
LOL my doctor yelled at me for not doing it yet. its on my to do list.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

One thing to consider is that it is colon related.
As we get get older, due to lack of fiber in most of our diets, we tend to develop pockets in the left side of our colon (called diverticulosis). For the most part, diverticulosis does not cause any symptoms.

However, if one of these pockets becomes inflamed or infected, it causes pain in the left lower abdomen and tenderness to palpation (pushing on the area). Symptoms can range from mild pain to severe pain, nausea and vomiting and fever.

An inguinal hernia is a second possibility. If you notice any bulging in the groin area, this would be the likely cause.

Third possibility is a kidney stone. Kidney stones can start as back pain that radiate to the front of the abdomen and groin area. Usually the pain is quite severe, though.
A urinalysis showing microscopic blood would be indicative of a potential stone.

If your pain is increasing, you should have your doctor do an exam to rule out diverticulitis (infected pocket). This would be treated with antibiotics.
Try to schedule your colonoscopy--so important and can be a life saving procedure.

Also a urinalysis should be considered.

I hope this gives you some ideas as to potential causes other than muscle.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisified with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States