Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years

One week ago, woke up with severe dizziness, vertigo and nausea/vomiting. Admitted

One week ago, woke up with severe dizziness, vertigo and nausea/vomiting.
Admitted to ER. CT scan shows nothing significant. MRI of head and neck showed a possible occlusion in back of head , but no definitive diagnosis.
Now, the only symptom that persists is dizziness.
I can walk, carefully, unassisted. My balance is still a bit weak. Unsafe to drive.

My right ear only has an annoying sound, sometimes a bit like at the sea shore, at other times it sounds like an echo of what I am hearing.

Good evening, Dr E here...

I believe you have meniere's disease. It is a disease of the lymphatics (immune system fluid) around the nerve going to the ear, and not very well understood. To confirm the diagnosis you need hearing testing, ENG and blood testing for syphilis (this does not sound like your problem).

Patients with Meniere's disease are more vulnerable to dietary and environmental factors that can impact hearing and balance. Triggers for Meniere's disease may include high salt intake, caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, stress, monosodium glutamate (MSG), and allergies. Avoidance for patients with identified triggers may alleviate or ameliorate symptoms.

Medications can help with the symptoms, such as water pills and reglan. You can also have injections and/or surgery to fix the problem. This could get better on its own, and usually people with meniere's have random attacks and then remissions.

I hope this helped! If so please click ACCEPT