Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

Hi, I was awaken by a muscle cramp in my left leg this morning,

I was awaken by a muscle cramp in my left leg this morning, and once I got up the calf still hurt to stand on, the pain has subsided, but can these types of cramps take a while for the pain to go away completely?

Is there cause for concern if the pain lasts for the day, but then diminishes the next and is gone?

This could be a muscle cramp and yes then can be tender for all day.

However, we would be concerned for a blood clot if the pain remains strong, swelling of that leg and possibly even redness.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi, thanks for the response, yes the pain has gone down a lot, it just really hurt to walk on it getting out of bed, then pain lessened through the day and now just feel tender, not stabbing or sharp like the orginal cramp, that was my thought blood clot, but again the sharp pain has gone.

Are you having swelling or any redness?
Do you take birth control pills? Smoke?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

nope, no birth control or smoking, and there is no swelling or redness. i think perhaps i got myself dehydrated yesterday and it caught up with me, i just wanted to inquire about how long the calf would be tender and if i should be concerned.

thanks again!

It does sound very unlikely that you would have a blood clot.

This is probably a muscle strain or cramp, I agree dehydration can be a cause of it but you usually would have more than one muscle group then.

Take 800mg of Ibuprofen, keep warm moist packs on it, and gently massage the leg stretching the toes toward your head.

This should be better in the morning.