Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

I have had a migraine for 8 days now. I have gotten migraines

I have had a migraine for 8 days now. I have gotten migraines for several years now and generally, they only last a day and are successfully treated with one to two doses of over the counter Motrin and it's gone. This time however, while the Motrin is getting rid of the pain, as soon as the dose wears off, the headache is back again. It has been less severe since Saturday but I've still been taking Motrin every 5 hours for relief. Is this something I should be concerned about?

You can try Excedrin Migraine or take 800 of Motrin with an Extra Strength Tylenol.

But taking Motrin every 5 hours is too soon depending on the dose you are using.

You would need to watch for worsening migraines with no relief at all. Also if you have sinus symptoms that could be adding to the headache.

We like to examine our patient if there is anything outside the norm of the regular migraine just to make sure that it is not a sinus infection or more than a migraine.