Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

I had my gallbladder removed when I was 18. Im now 38. Ive

I had my gallbladder removed when I was 18. I'm now 38. I've been having a lot of issues with stomch cramping after I eat. And specifically, a lot of bloating. Retaining water as well. then in the last week, I've experienced a sharp pain after eating on my right side, under the last rib. the area is almost exactly where they removed the gallbladder. If I press down it hurts and is tender. Then after a while it lessens. any clue as to what is happening?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.

Even with your gall bladder removed you can still get a stone stuck in the remaining duct. This requires a special imaging to be done to detect this an ultrasound will not see this. If that is the case then surgery is a possibility to remove it.

ANother possibility would be a peptic ulcer that is referring pain to the right side. This would need treatment with medication.

Both situations require and evaluation by your provider and I encourage you to see your provider without delay and both situations can worsen.