A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist

What can severe, constant internal shaking be caused from

Customer Question

What can severe, constant "internal shaking" be caused from? (These are test results thru last 19 years: Positive ANA, Epstein Barr, Mono, Chronic Fatigue, Very high Interleukin 8, no diagnosis)
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Can you explain what you mean by constant internal shaking? What medications do you take on a regular basis, including supplements? Have you ever received a diagnosis for this shaking? What other symptoms do you have with it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no medications...The shaking started occasionally with sudden onset in the chest, back and stomach....usually at night, it woke me up from sleep...then it turned into a trembling/vibrating feeling when i would lie down in bed, in my back...recently it has progressed to being constant and all the time---head, face, arms, legs, stomach, chest, back etc. it wakes me up--my husband can feel it when placing his hand on me, but it is not visible externally... I google this and there were others who have this--- the ones that sounded like me also had the positive ANA and some epstein barr virus, mono, chronic fatigue--- on no medications---It prevents me from sleeping and also wakes me up---my husband said that he is able to feel the trembling evenn when i am asleep

There are lots of different reasons for tremors of various types. However, they all have to be evaluated by a physician in person. Test results from the past really are of no use to diagnose your current condition. You need the full testing again. Referral to a neurologist may be necessary depending on what the examination and tests show. Along with neurological problems like Parkinson's and MS, there are things like anxiety that can cause tremors. There are probably at least a 100 things that could cause the problem, but seeing your physician is the first step.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ms was ruled out with mri i shouldve told u that..husband is a psychologist and says definitely physical NOT anxiety disorder....parkinsons would present with EXTERNAL trembling, would it not? I have seen physicians and they have only found what i supplied--- high interleukin 8, ANA positive, epstein barr etc. I was hoping you might have come across others like myself, thus the desperation of asking online--since my husband and 2 excellent physicians cannot figure this out--- i would appreciate you keeping my symptoms in mind and if you discover anyone that has this and has been given a conclusive diagnosis --informing me-- What do you think?

I think you should discuss this with a psychiatrist (i.e. a medical doctor). Anxiety is still right at the top of the list of disorders that can cause tremors that aren't action tremors. Parkinson's in later stages causes visible tremors, but early on it may not be visible. I've had patients who also discounted this as a diagnosis for tremors - until they were put on anxiolytic medication and the tremors stopped.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Of course I understand the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist. I was really hoping you might have encountered someone with the same problem. This is NOT anxiety. I have seen two excellent physicians (these are Medical Doctors) as I said in my initial email. You seem to be discounting the information I supplied such as positive ANA. Since others posted online with this symptom and same blood test results I was hoping---as I said---that with this new age of technology someone may have had a diagnosis and I might get a tip to take to my doctor. Also, when I added that MS had been ruled out by MRI, you surely know that it was read by a neurologist (who is also a psychiatritst, as many are these days) and he was stumped along with the other two docs I have been to. It doesn't seem like you are trying to get me an answer---- or even help. I am truly disappointed---- though I shouldn't be. I knew this was a long-shot from the beginning.

It isn't possible to diagnose anything online. As I told you, I have had several patients with your symptoms that have been diagnosed with anxiety (kicking and screaming all the way that it couldn't possibly be) and improved 100% on medication for it.

A positive ANA is non-specific for any particular illness. It is used along with other things to rule out autoimmune disorders. However, autoimmune disorders don't produce tremors. EBV will always be positive if anyone has ever had mononucleosis so that isn't a useful tool for diagnosis either. Interleukin 8 only means that there is some inflammation somewhere in the body. This can come from anything from a sunburn to psoriasis.

I will opt out since I really don't have any more time to carry on this debate. Perhaps another expert will want to address your puzzle. You will be notified by email if someone else replies.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will be waiting to hear if someone else has come across a person who has this continuous PATHALOGIC INTERNAL trembling.