Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

my grandson has had all his immunizations. he is 2 yrs of age.

He has a bit of a cough. when he coughs he makes that whooping sound - like whooping cough. if he's had all his immunizations could he still have whooping cough.
Also, should he go to the ER now or can he wait to see his dr on Monday.
I am asking for my daughter who lives out of state - her drs are on military base and she cannot see anyone or call until monday. should she go to the ER?
He does not seem to be particularly distressed and is exhibiting no other symptoms except the cough.
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Celeste NP :

Celeste NP :

Does he have a fever?

Customer :

no fever

Customer :

just the cough

Celeste NP :

And you did say that he is not having trouble with breathing>

Customer :

no

Customer :

except when he coughs and sucks in that air and makes the whooping noise. the cough is not constant only occasionally

Celeste NP :

It could be croup but there is still a possibility that he can have whooping cough even with immunizations.

Celeste NP :

It is called vaccine failure and I have seen that here with a couple of my patients as well.

Celeste NP :

It will be important to use a humidifyer.

Celeste NP :

There is not much that you can give him like cough medicine due to his age.

Customer :

IC anything else

Celeste NP :

It would be important to take him sooner than Monday if he is having trouble breathing or vomits with coughing on a regular basis.

Celeste NP :

Keep him hydrated as well. What ever he will drink but do avoid lots of milk.

Customer :

Ok. so as long as the cough does not get worse and cause problems it would be OK to wait til monday?

Celeste NP :

I am also assuming that he does not have asthma or a history of that.

Celeste NP :

Yes, it should be ok to wait. Usually with Whooping cough they will also run a fever.

Customer :

he does have a history of rsv

Celeste NP :

Then I would monitor him for a fever closely and his breathing. They can get worse quickly.

Celeste NP :

But RSV should not affect this unless he just got over it.

Customer :

yes I know.. she lives just around the corner from the hospital so she could have him there quickly

Customer :

no I don't think he's had it for several months

Celeste NP :

That is so nice then.

Celeste NP :

My son is a Marine and has to use the military system as well.

Customer :

thank you very much.. you have been a big help. Actually you just confirmed what I was thinking but it always helps to have that confirmation.

Celeste NP :

I can understand. Grandmas have great instinct most of the time!

Celeste NP :

You are welcome!

Customer :

LOL

Customer :

well, I guess we are done have a great evening...

Customer :

do I just push the accept button?

Celeste NP :

God Bless

Customer :

:)

Celeste NP :

Yes, If you are satisfied with my answer. Thanks

Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.