Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

everytime I urinate, I have a small bowel movement. It isnt

everytime I urinate, I have a small bowel movement. It isn't diahhrea but a little can sneak out before I get to the bathroom. What could be the cause of this and should I be concerned? This has been happening for about 10 days.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Are you having any back pain?
Numbness or tingling in your legs?
Have you started any new medications?
What medications do you take regularly (besides those listed?)

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

back pain - lower back consistently for a long time

no numbness or tingling in legs

no new medications

multi vit

B complex

.81 aspirin

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information,

What you are experiencing is called "fecal incontinence"
This can be caused by several things.

Constipation is actually a common cause--stools that sit in the rectum can cause the muscles to stretch and no longer respond normally. When this is the cause, the stool that comes out is usually liquid.

Rectal prolapse--due to weakening in the muscles of the pelvic floor, as some women get older, the rectum can protrude through the vagina. If you had many children, this may be a contributing cause.

Nerve damage--from bulging disks or spinal cord damage--this causes the muscles of the rectum to become weak, allowing stool to leak out. A potential cause in your case given the fact that you have back pain.

Medications that cause diarrhea can lead to incontinence as well. Since you have had no recent change in medications, this is unlikely.

Often, when we relax to urinate, this can relax the anal sphincter as well, allowing stool to be released. We should be able to hold it until we get to the bathroon, however.

I would discuss the symptoms with your doctor. A check of the strength of the muscles of the anal sphincter (with a rectal exam) and an exam to make sure you don't have a rectocele (bulge into the vagina) should be done.

The treatment will depend on the underlying cause.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!