Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

I am Type 2 diabetic. I used to take only Janumet and Amaryl.

I am Type 2 diabetic. I used to take only Janumet and Amaryl. Approximately 10 months ago my endocrinologist added insulin to my therapy. I take Levemir (pen), 10 units before breakfast and 35 units at bedtime.

When I started taking the insulin, I started getting extremely tired right after lunch and basically can't function at all in the afternoon. It is a debilitating situaton. My endocrinologist has no answers for me, but it has got to have something to do with the insulin. Can somebody please tell me what's going on?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.

have you checked your blood sugars in the afternoon? IF so, what are they when you are feeling so poorly?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have checked them, and they are usually in the 170 range only slightly higher than my morning fasting blood sugar which is normally around 160.

Typically, it is due to a fluctuation of your BS. And usually it is lower not higher.

Keep an exact record of your BS every day for 1-2 weeks. Check it

Before Lunch

2 hour after lunch or when symptoms start

and at bedtime.

Then take this record to the endocrinologist. Also keep track of diet and make notations about how you feel.

It would be great if you have the ability to take your blood pressure and pulse rate as well.

Other things to check will be Vitamin D level. This can contribute if it is low but would not think that it would only be in the afternoon.

I am running to a meeting but will check back in 1/2 hour if you need further clarification.