Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

head..my husband was in his 3rd and last year of Stage IV Colon Cancer

What could be the cause of my head shaking? It started about 3 years ago when my husband was in his 3rd and last year of Stage IV Colon Cancer. I thought it was do to stress. I notice it quite a bit more when I am under stress now and it is noticeable by others. It shakes vertically and I do feel tension in my neck. I am 54 years old. My mother is 75 and was diagnosed with Parkinson's 2 years ago. She does not have head tremors. She has the shuffle of the walk and one of her arms tremors. I am not quite sure which type of doctor to see. I was told that Parkinson's is a disease that is posted by process of elimination of other diseases. So, I am concerned that I am possibly headed towards a very expensive amount of testing. Thank your for your opinion in advance. Lisa
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 4 years ago.

Does anyone in your immediate family have this?

Does it do this at rest or when you are trying to move your head on purpose?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have no control over the shaking and is really noticeable under stress or deep concentration. My mother had parkingson's, only diagnosed 2 years ago. She has no head shaking. Someone asked me today if I was ok because they noticed.

Thanks for replying.

It is possible that it is early Parkinson. At the very least it could be a non essential tremor but with the family history I would think Parkinson.

Some other changes you may notice is your hand writings is worse. Have you noticed that?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I have not noticed hand tremors. How do they confirm if you do have early Parkinsons?

Usually by examination and medical history.

Now it can also be a non essential tremor that can occur in families as well and both can be treated with medications if troublesome. You would especially want to get an early start with Parkinson treatment.

Some other symptoms can be slow movements but not tremors.

You are aware of the shuffle as a symptom.

Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.