Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

why do nurse practitioners need to have high education in doctor

why do nurse practitioners need to have high education in doctor of nursing?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 3 years ago.

I am not sure I understand you question. Can you explain it more?

Are you asking why NP's need a doctorate?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yup, I am asking why NP's need a doctorate:)

Mainly because we are doing doctorate level work in the NP program and not being recognized for it.

Another point is that others in our field of health care has an entry level of doctorate. Like dentist or psychologists etc. Their education is comparable to ours.

A doctorate in your field is considered to be the highest level that you can achieve in that field of study. We were not giving ourself credit for it at a Master's Level.

Does this make sense to you?

Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, it makes sense. but it is interesting that although a lot of RNs with master's degree keep to increase, the number of DNPs remains stagnent:)

thanks for your reply

Melody

I can understand that! Some are trying to beat the mandated deadline of 2015 that it will be a doctorate level.

Also others feel that they are not going to get any salary increases for getting a DNP so why bother? Or that they are unable to go back to school now.

A DNP is very beneficial if you are in education though.

Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner