Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

hi,ive been having a dull aching pain in the upper part of

hi,ive been having a dull aching pain in the upper part of my left arm for the last 2 days.its more uncomfortable than sore.could this be anything to worry about.ive had it in the past but it always goes away eventually.there is a long history of angina in the women in my family so i just want to make sure its nothing to worry about

Let me ask you a few questions about this pain:

1. Does it get worse with movement?

2. Is it in the shoulder joint?

3. Do you have nausea with it?

4. Are you short of breath?

5. Do you smoke?

6. Do you have high blood pressure or high cholesterol?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi i do smoke,ive no shortness of breath or high bp or cholesterol.also ive no nausea and it doesnt get worse with movement.i do get headaches with it mostly but ot every time

Thanks for the information.

With you family history, I certainly would discuss this with your doctor. I don't think the headaches are connected with this pain unless it is a muscle spasm including your neck and that can cause headaches.

However, I would expect there to be pain with movement then and that is not the case as you have stated.

So it is possible that this could be cardiac related and it is called a "soft sign" meaning that it needs to be explored. Make an appointment with your provider as soon as possible. This is not something that you need to go to the ER for right now but does warrant examination.