Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

hello on my hand there is thick skin in apatch with little

hello
on the palm my hand there is thick scaly when the scales are removed you can see little holes underneath the skin in apatch with little blisters that are in the patch as well as my other hand now i have been to the doctor about this and have put on creams and also taken antib. for it nothing seems to make it go away can you give me some advice on this
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 3 years ago.

Is the skin red or skin colored under the scales?

Is it sore?

How long have you had this?

Have you been to a dermatologist for this?

What type of creams have you used?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

creams i have used- mupirocin 2% and clobetasol propionate .05%

the skin is red and painful underneath and i have had it now for about 3 months yes i did go see a dermatologist she is the one who gave me the creams i have also taken antib for it

Thanks for the information.

At this point, you need to have a skin punch biopsy done to determine exactly what the cells and cause are.

Mupirocin is to help treat for bacterial and clobetasol is a steroid.

However, it may be fungal in origin and the punch biopsy will tell you that. There are times that it can also be a mixed bacterial \fungal infection and may need to hit both of these hard at the same time.

If you have not been back to your dermatologist than please make another visit. She may think that it has healed up. We dont' do biopsy right away if the creams heal it. So she will need to be more aggressive with this and possibly treat for fungal as well. The longer it continues the harder it is to heal.

Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.