Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

My doctor says my blood sugar is 114-she said Im borderline ,

My doctor says my blood sugar is 114-she said I'm "borderline", but I've read there's something about adrenaline messing up the results, and this was done about 2 hours after I woke up. Should I be worried about diabetes? I have more blood work scheduled, just in case.

A fasting blood sugar of 114 is considered as mildly raised. But this alone result does not give the full perspective for the diagnosis. Following are the other investigations which will be needed before deriving any conclusion;

1) A blood sugar after meal

2) Glucose tolerance test; blood sugar is take after drinking glucose.

3) Glycosylated hemoglobin; this tells about the average blood sugar of last 90 days.

Your blood sugar of 114 is not likely due to any adrenaline issue. But if all of the these three investigations are normal, than this blood sugar would not be any worrying.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've also been going to the bathroom more than normal and my mouth has been quite dry.

Since you are being further investigated for the diabetes, that is one of the condition need to be ruled out for your these symptoms too. The increased urinary frequency can be due to anxiety or urinary tract infection or overactive bladder. Dry mouth is termed xerostomia. The causes can be;

1) fever,

2) dehydration,

3) anticholinergic drugs,

4) Mikulicz disease,

5) Sjögren syndrome; when salivary gland are affected by autoimmune disease,

6) antidepressants and other drugs

So if this persists, you will need further investigative work up to ascertain the cause.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun