Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

can tight sore neck muscles on the left cause left arm weakness

Customer Question

can tight sore neck muscles on? the left cause left arm weakness finger pain numbness . . is this from nerve?.
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Can you clarify your question? Are you saying that you have sore neck and asking if it can cause weakness/numbness in your left arm and fingers?

Do you have soreness on your left side of the neck?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes ... very tight sore neck muscles for months esp on left side of neck .. see a chiropracter but no relief.. get weak left arm and lately the thumb has been goin what feels like weak or numb.. i have read a nerve can give u this type of arm sensations.. will acupunture or massage help w this?

also.. been expeirencing what feels like nerve pain in the left left.. in knee and behind knee and behind the thigh.. foot falls asleep fast esp when sitting.. leg sometimes feel like vibration.. or jelly knee.. its been pretty stagnant this past week.. althought yest was a good day... can a pinched nerve also present w this type of feeling as well?

Thank you for your reply.

The symptoms you are describing in your left arm and hand (thumb) can definitely be caused by a pinched nerve in your neck. The same pinched nerve can cause you to have neck pain and stiffness.

Prior to getting any treatment, it is important to get a proper diagnosis otherwise treatment can actually cause some harm if no specific diagnosis has been made. There are 2 tests which can be done to evaluate which nerve is being affected and how much. One test is called EMG (Electromyography) and another one is MRI of your neck. Once you get an exact diagnosis, you can decide on the treatment plan. I am not a huge fan of acupuncture or chiropractor medicine and instead prefer physical therapy for treatment, however, acupuncture can probably compliment physical therapy.

A pinched nerve in the lower back can cause pain in lower back as well as radiation of pain into buttocks, thighs and down the leg although your symptoms are not very specific for a pinched in a lower back. However, the same EMG test can be done on the nerves coming from your lower back to see if any of them are affected. Sometimes a pinched nerve in the back can cause symptoms due to inflammation in the lower back, but often it can subside on its own. If these symptoms are relatively new and are not very bothersome to you, I would suggest you concentrate your neck issues first, try to get a proper diagnosis and treatment.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If I have answered your question, please click the green "Accept" button. Otherwise your deposit stays with JustAnswer and I do not get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the leg issue has been off and on for about a month but this past week its been more . . my leg esp back of thigh and knee feel very tight and what i think is nervy achey.even weak at? times . my Lower back is tight since monday . . from over use . .

These symptoms might represent radiculopathy (nerve irritation) from the lower back or these symptoms could just mean some muscle spasms, both in the leg and in the back.

In either case, the treatment is similar and should consist of icing your lower back and, if not contraindicated, taking anti-inflammatories such as Advil or Aleve. Acupuncture can also be useful as a treatment option, so would be physical therapy with massages, TENS unit and proper stretching.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have other questions.

If I answered your question, please click 'Accept' button.

Best wishes,

Do you have any other questions I can answer for you? Anything I can clarify?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

today my legs seem to be in muscle spasm mode today.. esp in my calfs..feels like i pulled muscles and they are sensitive but i haven't pulled anything totally yet.. and i keep feeling twinges as well.... my knees feel nervy and back of thigh still but not as bad as yesterday... also feels as if my leg jolts or moves wout me doing it.. if that makes sense.. feels like my muscles are in spasm or hv a mind of their own.. i have an apt w a neurologist monday.. is there anything specific i should ask for.. or should i see a muscle dr..

Hi there,

I dont think you need to see a muscle doctor, neurology is a good place to start. There is a good chance you may have a condition called Restless Leg Syndrome. With this condition people have constant twinges in their legs, feeling of something crawling on their legs, having a need to move legs (all different symptoms). If it turns out to be the case, this condition is treated easily with medications and is not dangerous.

Hope this helps. If I answered your question, please click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes,